Pages

Friday, January 13, 2012

Soap me up Scotty!

After spending the morning at work  I came home to "potter" in the garden in order to destress-and then decided to make a batch of soap.

I use the cold press method described here: http://down---to---earth.blogspot.com/2010/09/soap-new-recipe.html . It is very easy and safe ( as long as the appropriate precautions are followed).

This is my third batch of soap-the first I just made as the Castile Soap, whereas my second batch became Oatmeal & Honey. All I did was whizz some rolled oats to a finer consitency ( around a cup I think) and added the oats plus a tablespoon of honey to the saponified mix once it reached trace. My husband loves the Oatmeal & Honey, so with this batch I used some of the base mix to make some heart shaped guest soap, then use the rest to make Oatmeal & Honey.

I think that 3 or 4 batches a year will provide enough soap for our personal use plus what I give as gifts ( I used half of each of the first two batches as Christmas gifts last year!).

Soap making is such a simple yet useful skill-yet so few know how to make their own soap these days! I am so grateful to Rhonda at Down To Earth for not only drawing together the skills which were in danger of becoming forgotten; but also in having the generosity of spirit in sharing them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...