Pages

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Thursday Thrift..........

This week's Thursday Thrift is full of garlicky goodness!


I adore garlic-not only for it's pungency in cooking, but also for it's multitude of uses around the home. It can be used as a natural antibiotic ( ala Florence Nightingale!), a wormifuge, organic pest spray, companion plant and of course-a home strewn witth garlic is professed to be vampire free! It must work because thus far we are yet to be visited by vampires!

Last year I planted around 40 cloves-which I happily harvested in December. This harvest is to be used mainly in pet food ( both dogs & chickens) and as garden treatments...because although I love the taste of garlic, His Lordship suffers unfortunate side effects from it!

Garlic is an easy and cheap crop to grow-I tend to plant and forget about it! It doesn't require a lot of water or fertiliser, although avoid planting in heavy soils as it can rot.

Today I'm using some to add to both the dog food I'm making and the warm garlic & apple cider mash for the chickens. The chicken mash is just some rolled oats mixed with water and cooked in the microwave, then mixed witrh some crushed garlic and about 1/4 - 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar-then girls love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...