Pages

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Thursday Thrift...

I find that one of the biggest challenges to living a thrifty/frugal/smart life is the "little" expenses. The unexpected or unnecessary costs...it is easy to spend $10 or $20 a day with little effort-which ads up to $3650 or $7300/year!

I'm talking about the coffee/softdrink/newspaper you grab at the local shop, the $10 spent on a lunch because you aren't at home or didn't premake something-all seemingly minor costs.

If I handed you $7300 in cash right now, what would you do with it?

My suggestions are twofold-spend meaningfully and spend more time at home. If you don't leave your house every day there will be less opportunity to let that hard earned cash slip through your fingers-plus you will probably find time to do activities around your home which will also save more money. Baking, gardening, window washing-all activities which "busy" people tend to pay others to do...

Have you thought about inviting friends to your home for a coffee morning or afternoon tea? It would cost you less than going elsewhere-and if you find tidying your home gets away from you, then having visitors tends to be a great impetus to get it done!

4 comments:

  1. Totally agree with the not leaving home = no spending on little purchases that add up! This is my first visit to your blog, Im having fun looking around:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by Rebecca. :) We love our little piece of currently very muddy paradise-just not the mortgage to pay for it!

      As much as we planned to utilise our land, I am still amazed by how much can be produce here-even if currently there is little in the vegie beds as we renovate them.

      Deezy

      Delete
  2. Deezy - even when you do leave home you don't necessarily have to spend money!

    I take my own lunches to work everyday - I always cook extra for our tea and we have leftovers for lunch and any extra again goes into the freezer for work lunches another day!

    We take our own morning teas to work - either something I baked (cake or bread or english muffins).

    We both take our homemade yogurt every day!

    I keep a plunger and good coffee in my office and make my own nice coffee instead of buying.

    Just all takes lots of planning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too true Sandra! His Lordship usually takes his lunch from home and as I work afternoons I eat lunch before leaving.

      The plunger is a great idea for those who don't have access to a free ( good) coffee at work-both our workplaces have decent machines. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...